Magnesium’s Impact on Health and Fitness
As a CrossFit athlete, it’s important to prioritize proper nutrition and overall health to support your workouts and training. One key nutrient that is often overlooked is magnesium. This mineral is crucial for the body to function properly, as it is involved in more than 600 of the body’s enzymatic reactions.
According to World Health Organization statistics, as many as 75 percent of U.S. adults do not meet the U.S. Food and Drug Administration’s Recommended Daily Intake of 420 mg of magnesium. Magnesium deficiency can manifest in many ways, such as inefficient blood sugar metabolism, muscle cramps or soreness, eyelid twitching, fatigue, and poor sleep.
So, why is magnesium important?
Here are just a few of its many roles in the body:
- It is essential for the health of the heart and blood vessels, brain, bones, muscles, and lungs, and supports healthy blood sugar.
- It promotes bronchial relaxation.
- It is an essential mineral for the electrical activity of the heart, supporting healthy heart rate and rhythm.
- It helps relax smooth and skeletal muscle.
- It promotes the dilation of blood vessels (vasodilation), supporting normal blood pressure and enhancing blood flow.
- It supports insulin sensitivity for healthy blood sugar.
- It is a cofactor for enzymes involved in cellular energy production.
If you’re looking to incorporate more magnesium into your diet, Thorne’s Magnesium Bisglycinate is a great option. This great-tasting powder can be mixed with water, juice, or with another powdered supplement. The compound magnesium bisglycinate, also known as magnesium glycinate, has superior absorption due to its increased solubility and decreased laxative effect compared to other magnesium formulations. It is a true chelate that completely envelops the magnesium. Plus, the glycine in this form promotes relaxation and stress reduction in the body, making it a good choice for pre-bedtime supplementation to support restful sleep.